Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Happy Bird Day!

Today is my 48th birthday. I began reminiscing about all of the birds that I've seen on or around my birthday.

There seems to be a certain nostalgia when it comes to seeing birds on your birthday. On some birthdays I've gone out seeking unusual birds, and have even gone after rarity reports. I've missed seeing some birds on my birthday by one day, but no less special to see them on the day after. I think seeing special birds on a birthday is a gift of nature to us. I looked through my e-bird records for specific years and species (because at 48, my memory isn't what it used to be) and this is what I found (list in forward chronological order):

  • One day after my 23rd birthday, on August 26, 1988, I documented 7 Western Sandpipers at the Oxbow in Lawrenceburg, IN.
  • On my 32nd birthday, in 1997, I went to Tanner's Creek in Dearborn county, IN to see and photograph a continuing Swallow-tailed Kite. What a great bird to see on your birthday!!!
  • The best bird that I've ever seen around my birthday, was the one gem that showed up in Taylor Mill, KY in 1999. I went to see it on the day after my 34th birthday, on August 26, 1999. It was a Green Violet-Ear, a large hummingbird that is more at home in the tropics of Central and Latin America, but does wander on occasion into the United States. This was Kentucky's first record. I'll take the birthday gift even if it is not on my birthday. Woo-hoo!!!
  • In 2001, my wife and I decided to go to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, get security clearance, and go to the location where a WESTERN KINGBIRD had been reported on 8/23. I have seen Couch's and Tropical Kingbirds, two other yellow-bellied species of kingbirds, in Texas and Mexico, respectively, but have not yet seen the Western. This was my 36th birthday. We searched for quite a while, but we were unable to find the Western, even looking in the vicinity of a family group of Eastern Kingbirds. We went on to Englewood Reserve, while we were in the area, to see if we could find anything of note. We heard a Wild Turkey, and I noted a flock of 80+ Chimney Swifts, but nothing else noteworthy on my birthday, unless you count a beautiful Wood Duck, and a flyover Common Nighthawk.
  • On my 38th birthday in 2003 I went to Gilmore Ponds in Butler county, OH to see what I could find. Best birthday bird I guess on this day would be the Great Egret, with Wood Duck being a close second. West Pond water was drawn down, lots of exposed mudflats. I only had my binoculars with me that day, no scope. I saw a shorebird in the distance that I could not identify, my notes say it was either a Dunlin or Pectoral Sandpiper.
  • In 2005 on my 40th birthday, I went to Miami-whitewater wetlands, and then to the visitor's center and lake. Northern Harrier and Sedge Wren were excellent birthday birds that day at the wetlands, as were 200+ Purple Martins swarming and perching around the visitor's center and parking lot.
  • Last year, on my 47th birthday, I stayed home and heard a Red-shouldered Hawk, and saw a Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
  • Today, on my 48th birthday, I heard but could not located, probably high-flying, a Red-shouldered Hawk and saw a Ruby-throated Hummingbird land in my bush honeysuckle in my backyard while I was grilling hotdogs and cheeseburgers for the kids and my wife, while she was inside baking me a cake. As I write this, another hummingbird visiting my feeder.
Maybe one of my birthdays I will be able to get a digital camera suitable for bird photography. Right now I have to rely on an old Minolta camera that takes film that requires developing. I know, I'm behind the times but what is a poor birder to do?

What is the best bird that you have seen on your birthday? I know I'll still be waiting for another Western Kingbird to stray into our area. Its that time of year where they should be wandering out of range on their way to their wintering grounds. I know that some westerns winter in Florida but stray off course on their way there.

Until next time, happy bird day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment